Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Stat counter

I have a stat counter on my site. It keeps track of all the visitors to my blog. There are all sorts of interesting statistics you get with the counter. The number of visitors, where they come from, what page they visit, how long their visit is and the number of times they've visited the blog. That's to name just a few. There is also a really cool thing there's a map which shows where all the people are who view your blog are. You can click on the little pin and see information on the user.

Sometimes it's easy to figure out who's who. The little pin in Utah is from my friend Larry who lives there. Now sometimes it is hard to tell who is viewing the blog because the pin is placed where the ISP provider is located and that is not always in the same place that the person is. Like my friend Art in New Zealand his pin his pin is in Australia because that is where his ISP is.

So the other day I looked at the map and I saw this. Click on the picture to make it larger and you'll see there just isn't any land even close to the pin.



This is out in the middle of the ocean. How can there be an ISP there? This person was on my site for 5 minutes and 36 seconds. He entered my blog from the page that has my user profile on Blogger. He exited from a page that listed all of my entries about Washington Life. So I just wonder who this person is. Maybe on a ship or maybe it's a mistake. Anyway I thought it was rather interesting.

1 comment:

Arthur Schenck said...

On the old-timey Macs, if you typed in "Middle of Nowhere" on the Map thingee, I'm pretty sure that's the spot it showed (or near to it). Could be some sort of ISP masking going on I suppose.