Saturday, November 15, 2008

Clinton at State?

I have to say I was surprised at this one.

It didn't occur to me that Obama would want Clinton in the cabinet. Also that Clinton would want the position. More on the story here.

My thought was that Clinton would stay in the Senate. Over time she would take up the position similar to Ted Kennedy. A mover and shaker. An important senator who's support was sort after. I figured she would be the champion of health care.

But then I started thinking about it. This might not be a bad idea after all. Clinton would be much closer to the center of the political action. She would also play a much greater and more important role as Secretary of State then as the junior Senator from New York. She also has an unusual position because she is a former first lady.

I'm thinking this might be a good idea.

It does seem that Obama is taking to heart Doris Kearns Goodwin book Team of Rivals. This details how Lincoln brought into his cabinet the major players who ran against him for the presidential nomination. I did a post about Doris Kearns Goodwin apperance at the National Book Festival back in 2006.

In a similar vein Obama is going to meet with McCain on Monday.

I think this is going to be a very interesting transition unlike anyone we've seen in the past.

No comments: